Saturday, February 19, 2011

Boudin

Before coming on this trip, I made myself a promise that I would be fearless in trying new foods. I made a pact with myself that I would go by the one bite rule, which is, that no matter what, I would try at least one bite of everything I was offered. I have been truly fearless and have ended up liking everything I've tried, pâté, speck blanc and whatever else that has come my way. The only thing that I was reluctant to try was boudin and possibly do to the fact that I recieved a detailed explanation of what it was before actually trying it, this, something I thoroughly regret inquiring.

Boudin: a sausage made of pigs blood and small pieces of pigs fat.

Upon recieving this information, I subtly kicked myself, why had I made myself that darn promise? That evening at dinner I tried, reluctantly, a small piece of boudin. Suprisingly, once you get over what it is, it's pretty darn good, I even ended up having a bit more. Maybe that subtle kick wasn't neccesary after all.

2 comments:

  1. Good attitude. That's the way you will really experience la vie francaise! When I was a bit older than you I worked in a Belgian Hotel in Switzerland. We ate tons of the stuff. Can't say I liked it but it was free and I was hungry. I am sure your hosts are way better cooks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathryn. Your whole blog is fabulous and you are doing very well with your writing .. regardless of your keyboard. How you will grow on this trip. And good for you that you made yourself that promise. Frog legs?

    ReplyDelete